Learning Zone Home > schooLMAte > French Community > Timeline > 1550 - King Edward the Sixth...
Learning Zone
London Metropolitan Archives The Archives of the City of London
Theatreland Look at London schooLMAte Archive Work Data Online Learning Zone Home
   Black and Asian Londoners  |   French Community  |   Irish Community  |   City Communities  |  Teachers' Notes
   Maps  |   Stories   |   Images  |   Documents   |   Timelines   |   Audio Gallery   |   Related Links
1550 - King Edward the Sixth permits the founding of separate Dutch and French Protestant churches in London
<< Back


This is so that Protestant refugees from the Continent can worship in their own language using their own forms of service. The Protestants believe that it is important that ordinary Christians should be able to worship God and pray to him in a language they understand. (At this date Roman Catholic church services are held in Latin.)

Two old church buildings are made available to the refugee communities. The Church of the Austin Friars in Broad Street ward becomes the place where the Dutch- and Flemish-speaking Protestants from the Netherlands hold their services. It is renamed the Temple of Jesus. It is also often known as the Dutch Church. The chapel of St Anthony's Hospital in Threadneedle Street is given to the Protestants from France and the French-speaking parts of the Netherlands. From now on it is often called the French Church. On one Sunday a month the two congregations exchange buildings.

The French and Dutch Churches of London are Calvinist. In their beliefs and practices they follow the teachings of the French Protestant theologian Jean Calvin. 



<< Back
  French Community: Things to see and do
 
Maps
Stories
Images
Documents
Timelines
Audio
Gallery
Related
Links
 Site Map    |   Disclaimer    |   Terms and Conditions    |   Privacy Policy    |    Credits